Where: Corner of Meerlust and Lynwood Road, Pretoria East
Love @ first coffee: ♥♥♥♥♥
Kid Friendly: Yup, lovely big outside playing area for the kiddies.
Owner: Michelle Cronje - Cibulka
This week I have the best coffee shop treasure to share with all of you. Ok, to be honest, I have known about them for a while, ever since the signs went up saying 'Opening 1 August 2013' and since 1 August I have spent my fair amount of money and time at this 'breath of fresh air' Coffee Shop - it does not help that it is literally around the corner from our house.
Why do I love this place so much? There are so many reasons, but for starters, their website, their loo's and these four main points:
- We make and bake daily, so relax, its coming
- Our lamb and venison is organic and free range, who knows about the beef...
- All the eggs used are free-range
- Deviations to the menu will most likely be met with some aggressive behaviour, and could result in a wait t hat might go on forever... and ever...
- Please excuse if we sell out - we do aim for that!
- Not all the ingredients we use are listed on the menu
- We do have selected items on the menu that do not contain some of the following ingredients: meat, fish, garlic, wheat, gluten, starch, carbs, nuts, lactose, and calories - enquire from your waiter -
- Yes, we are unlicensed - we are in the process of applying for a liquor license. No, we do not serve alcohol yet
- If your cell phone interferes with the natural garden ambience, and the gossip at the table next to you, it might get thrown over the wall...
(and no, indigenous quacking duck ringtones don-t count for much approval!)
I am someone who really tries to eat organic, fresh food without harmful this or that in. Great for my health, not so great when looking for places to eat, because they are really hard to find, especially in Pretoria. It is nice to sit down and have a plate of food that you know is really good for you. I won't bore you with all the wonderful, creative dishes that Michelle has come up with, go and try it for yourself. But I will say that Eggs Benedict are divine, the real deal, and that to me is a sign of a restaurant run by a real Foodie!
See Menu here.
3. The Drinks
They are pretty, some of them different and all of them yummy. Afroboer is a Saturday morning stop for many athletes, especially bikers, and if you are an exercise junkie yourself, you will love their 'after-workout' shakes.
See Drinks Menu here
Recovery shake for athletes R30
-based on Joe Friel's Paleo formulas-
apple juice, protein powder
chocolate, milk, yoghurt
The very first thing that made me fall in love with AfroBoer, is their cakes. Not just the taste - the carrot cakes is divine btw, but the prices and the serving size is perfect for an afternoon craving/treat. It is so nice to be able to order a small piece of delicious cake, from R8 upwards, eat it up, and not feel guilty. I hate having a huge piece of cake put in front of me, and all you can think is, only eat half, only eat half ... only .. eat .. half ....
The bakery makes all kinds of delicious breads, biscuits, quiches and ginger bread houses - I bought a ginger bread house for Christmas and it was sooo pretty. All of these can be ordered with 2 days notice.
We make cakes galore - on order, for fun, for celebrations, for broken hearts, for hungry souls, and of course - for our display counter.